Busselton Jetty Underwater Ocean Clean Up
Sunday, 6th March 2022 - 7:00am to 11:00am
Certified divers or qualified freedivers are invited to the inaugural Busselton Jetty Underwater Clean Up event! Busselton Jetty and Clean Up Australia have teamed up to create an opportunity for passionate ocean lovers to tackle ocean polution head-on. They’re hoping to clean large sections underneath the Jetty from shore to the very end, whilst raising awareness to the issue of marine debris in our ocean.
Interested?: To particpate you must be 16 years and over, and a certified diver (with at least 20 logged dives) or a qualified and experienced freediver with ALL of your own dive and freediving equipment | Places are limited and registrations close on Thursday March 3rd. | Email [email protected] to request a registration form, which must be completed andf returned prior to the event.
How the day will run:
- The event will begin at 7am with registration and safety briefings before teams of divers and freedivers are divided into teams and sections of the Jetty to clean.
- A thorough dive briefing will be conducted prior to dive and the in-water dive time is limited to 1-1.5hrs.
- Afterwards divers will meet at the start of the Jetty to de-brief and sort and record the litter pile.
- The data will then be entered into the Tangaroa Blue Marine Debris Database.
- The event will wrap up at approximately 11am. ( Counting and sorting of marine litter is optional).
- Busselton Jetty will provide transport along the Jetty for divers, freedivers and their equipment (so you don’t have to walk out to the end), and facilities to store any personal items while you are in the water.
What to bring
- Volunteers need to have ALL of their own dive and freediving equipment, including BCD & regs (divers), filled dive tanks (divers), full wetsuits (hood and socks optional), masks, snorkels, weights, fins, protective gloves and dive knives.
- If you have your own mesh bags for collection of litter, please bring along but we will have litter bags available on the day.
- Limited gloves will be available so it is best to bring your own.
- Please also bring a reusable water bottle (water fill stations located at start of Jetty and along the Jetty), and all your own personal items.
This is a COVID safe event and you will need to sign in with the ServiceWA app, wear a mask and social distance during all dive briefings and gatherings.