3 night Self-Drive Explorer Includes:
- 1 night accommodation in Perth or Fremantle
- 2 nights accommodation in the Margaret River region
- Breakfast daily
- Admission to Bunbury Dolphin Discovery Centre
- Busselton Jetty Day Pass
- A Cave Tour of either Ngilgi, Lake, Jewel or Mammoth Caves
- Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse self-guided audio tour
Image: Kings Park, experienceperth.com
On arrival into Perth international airport, pick up your rental car. Car hire is not included in the price of the tour but there are numerous car hire firms with desks at the international airport, including Avis. Once in the region, a number of local transport options are available.
It is about a 40 minute drive from Perth international airport to Perth city, or 1 hour drive to Fremantle. Driving in Perth can be busy during peak hour but is quite orderly, somewhat similar to Singapore. For details regarding driving in Australia, please click here.
Perth is quite a cosmopolitan city and has many exciting places to visit. Some of these you may like to enjoy include:
- Kings Park to have panoramic view of the city
- The Perth Mint is an interesting place to visit and to buy gold or coins
- The harbour town of Fremantle is about a 30 minute drive from Perth and is a popular place to wander around. In particular to enjoy a coffee on the Cappuccino Strip, visit the “Freo” Markets, or enjoy fish and chips at Cicerellos overlooking the harbour.
- Visit www.experienceperth.com for things to do in Perth.
Overnight at your Perth city or Fremantle hotel.
Margaret River is a small township but it is also the name of the region stretching from Busselton and Dunsborough in the north, to Augusta in the south. It is about a 45 minute drive from the city of Busselton to Margaret River township, and another 30 minutes to the small township of Augusta. You should check where in the region your hotel is located before you drive to the township.
Image: Busselton Jetty, by Elements Margaret River
After a hearty breakfast at your Perth or Fremantle hotel, it is time to jump in your car and head south to the Margaret River region. From your hotel, simply head to the Kwinana Freeway South and it is that simple. This Freeway takes you all the way to Busselton. Read more about getting to Your Margaret River Region.
There are a couple of petrol stations along the way but the first place to stop for refreshments and toilets is at Midway Pie Café, about 1 hour south of Perth. Another good place to stop for a snack is at The Crooked Carrot at Myalup (1.5 hours south).
The first stop on the drive is Bunbury, which is about 2 hours drive. As you drive into Bunbury you will come to a big round-about – stay in the middle lane and take the third exit along Koombana Drive and this will take you on a scenic drive into Bunbury. After about 1km look out for a sign on your right pointing to the Bunbury Dolphin Discovery Centre which is your first tour for today. Admission is included in this tour price. Click here for more details.
After enjoying a fabulous encounter with the dolphins, you may want to drive into Bunbury or continue on to Busselton, which is only about 40 minutes from Bunbury if you follow the highway all the way. If you prefer to take a scenic route:
- Turn right at Tuart Drive (about 2km past the small side town of Capel) and drive through the picturesque tuart forest.
- Continue until you come to the round-about at Layman Rd and turn right. This takes you past Wonerup Canal to the beach and Geographe Bay, and you can follow this road all the way along into Busselton.
When you reach Busselton, head to the beach and you cannot miss Busselton Jetty. It is the longest wooden jetty in the southern hemisphere reaching 1.5km out into the ocean and is a popular spot for visitors.
There is an underwater observatory at the end of the jetty, and if you don’t want to walk you can take the little train which runs regularly out along the jetty. There are also a couple of cafes and restaurants overlooking the beach including The Equinox and The Goose which both offer good meals.
This tour includes a Full Day Jetty pass so you can wander out the jetty at you leisure.
From Busselton, it is time to check where your hotel is located in the region before heading off to check-in to your accommodation.
Overnight at your hotel in the Margaret River Region.
Image: Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse, by Elements Margaret River
Today is all about exploring the Margaret River region and there are so many things to do and see, including:
- Do a cave tour – click here to discover four spectacular caves.
- Visit Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse at Cape Leeuwin, the most south-west tip of Australia where two oceans meet.
- Visit Hamelin Bay, one of the region’s most beautiful beaches, to see the stingrays.
- Drive through the very beautiful Boranup Forest
- Visit some of the local gourmet producers and try the local produce including chocolate, olive oil, venison, nougat, fudge, ice cream and jams.
- Visit a winery, boutique brewery and distillery and enjoy a delicious lunch at one of the sensational restaurants.
- Visit the Margaret River or Vasse Markets (on Saturday morning only).
- Do a whale watching cruise – the annual humpback migration runs from June to October.
- Visit Canal Rocks or Surfers Point for sunset.
- Visit an animal or reptile park and hold the animals.
Image: Boranup Forest by Elements Margaret River
Explore the ‘See and Do’ section of this website for the full range of things to do in the Margaret River region.
Overnight at your hotel in the Margaret River Region.
Today it is time to leave but depending on your flight schedule, you can either drive direct back to the airport, or you may decide to explore a little more around the region before heading north. The airport is about a 3 hour drive but make sure you allow time for stopping, and it is clearly signposted from the Freeway.
- Standard stays from $299.00 pp/twin
(Good Earth Hotel Perth + Quality Inn Margaret River)*
- Superior city stays from $450.00 pp/twin
(Ambassador Hotel Perth + Darby Park Margaret River)*
- Superior Beach stays from $425.00 pp/twin
(Esplanade Hotel Fremantle + Margarets Beach Resort)*
- First class stays from $480.00 pp/twin
(Hyatt Perth + Pullman Resort Bunker Bay)*
* Hotels are subject to availability at this price at time of booking. Alternative hotels of similar standard may be offered. To book, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (08) 9780 5933.