It’s one of the quintessential parts of an Australian summer: the outdoor cinema. While urbanites have stamped their own twist on the tradition with the rooftop cinema in recent years, there is something magical about hearing the wind in the trees and the squawk of the cockies at Margaret River’s outdoor movies.
Add in some local wine, a starlit sky that can only be achieved without the lights of suburbia and the fresh breeze of country air and it’s as close to movie buff heaven as you can get. The region is home to two fabulous outdoor screen options; one north and one south, so no matter where your bed is for the night you’ll be able to find one in easy driving distance.
Movies at Cape Mentelle
One of the most popular night-time activities in Margaret River, it’s a magical experience watching the sun turn pink over the vineyard backdrop of Cape Mentelle. The season runs all the way from December through to April and while most films are selected from new and recent releases, there is also the odd classic and family favourite thrown in the mix. Book for a Friday evening and you’ll be in for some live music to accompany your pre-film picnic during the hour before the film starts.
The gates open from 6pm and it’s definitely a good idea to get there on time so you can snag the best spot – seating is unreserved, and pre-purchase of tickets is definitely advised. For those that prefer the finer things in life you can go VIP with beanbeds, blankets and a gourmet platter alongside that glass of wine. It’s perfectly acceptable to bring your own picnic or pick up some hot food on offer from food truck Kirk’s Kitchen – just be sure to keep the drinks at home. There is a fully licensed bar stocked with all sorts of options to sip, including some world class Margaret River wine of course!
- Dates: 11 December 2020 to 13 March 2021. Screenings Thursday to Saturday plus special events.
- Prices: Concession/children from $16; Adults from $22.50; Reserved seating with bean bed and blanket from $32.50; Package for two from $80; Book of Ten season tickets: $150.00.
- Movies begin from sundown at 7.30pm-8pm depending on sunset (Doors open from 6.00pm). No smoking and BYO chairs must sit up the back of the outdoor cinema.
- Live music Friday nights from 6.30pm. Relax and enjoy the live music while having a glass of Cape Mentelle Wine before the movie.
- Book tickets via moshtix.
Caves House Hotel
As one of the most beautiful heritage buildings in the state, a visit to Caves House is a central part of any Yallingup holiday. Just down the road from the surfing town’s famous breaks, this grand dame has been lovingly restored, complete with art deco interiors, plush carpets, a cocktail bar and light fittings that wouldn’t be out of place in The Great Gatsby. Step onto the terrace and you’ll find lush gardens that are perfect for a summer evening under the night sky. You might even catch the gentle sound of the waves for some added atmosphere alongside the cinema soundtrack! Over the course of the season you’ll find a range of movies from new releases through to family favourites.
A very relaxed night at the movies, guests can BYO their own seating of choice and light snacks for the film. Although, why bring snacks when you can indulge in a tasty bite beforehand from the hotel? You can grab a casual bite from the pizza shack or bar, or treat yourself to a main meal in the restaurant and save $7 off an adult movie ticket. A full range of drinks are available to the bar, so strictly no BYO on beverages.
- Dates: Outdoor Movies start Tuesday December 15th 2020 and run every Tuesday & Thursday (excluding New Years Eve) until February 25th 2021.
- Prices: Children under 5 Free; Children aged 5–15 $10; Adults $17; Family Ticket (2 adults, 2 kids) $50.
- Movies begin from 8.00pm (Doors open from 6.00pm). No smoking and chairs must sit up the back of the cinema. Showtimes are subject to weather conditions.
4.4 From $10
Cape Mentelle VineyardsMonday - Sunday: 10:00 AM until 5:00 PMGreat For: Cellar Sales,Disabled Access,Dog Friendly,Seated Tastings
331 Wallcliffe Rd, Margaret River WA 6285
Caves House Hotel - Restaurant, Bar & EventsMonday - Sunday: 7:00 AM until 10:30 PMGreat For: Dine In,Fireplace,Rainy Day,Sunny Day
18 Yallingup Beach Rd, Yallingup WA 6282