Your Summer Bucket List
50 ultimate things to do before summer's out, including the chance to win.
We’re fast approaching the final month of this glorious season we call summer here in the Margaret River region, so it’s time to start getting serious about making the most of the warm weather and salty vibes.
From exclusive experiences like coastal helicopter flights and five-star degustations to simple pleasures like fish and chips on the beach, this 50-strong summer bucket list full of Margaret River region adventures needs printing and pinning to the fridge. Better yet, it needs ticking off.
To make your summer just that little bit more epic, we partnered with Private Properties to bring you the ultimate giveaway prize: a 2 night stay in one of the incredible Private Properties holiday homes featured in this list, for you and up to nine others. The competition is now closed, but one lucky winner will soon be living the high-life at Injidup Bay House. Read on for more bucket-list worthy holiday inspiration.
1. Of course, you can’t come to the Margaret River region without sampling the region’s world class wines. Why not try something off the beaten track?
2. Wake up to unforgettable views from this spectacular home overlooking the iconic Injidup Beach.
3. Or soak up a more bucolic outlook here in the hinterland.
4. Pack the perfect picnic and immerse yourself in the region’s natural beauty – don’t forget to include a loaf of this fresh, hot, organic woodfired bread. You’ll be lucky if half the loaf makes the drive there!
5. You’ve got the bread – now grab some fresh, cold-pressed, locally grown olive oil. It really is a superfood!
7. Or you could pull up a picnic rug under the stars at one of the region’s outdoor cinemas.
8. Rest your head at this incredible abode on Yallingup Hill.
9. If you’re feeling adventurous, dive at one of Australia’s first sunken ship wrecks, the HMAS Swan, or just snorkel a little closer to shore.
11. Catch a stunning aerial perspective of the region on a Scenic Helicopters flight.
12. Or head off-shore on a chartered deep-sea fishing tour and try to reel in a prized dhu-fish!
13. You can also get special access to Margaret River’s rugged coastline by hiking a section of the Cape to Cape trail.
14. Take a break from the adrenaline at this dreamy Bunker Bay Farm Break, with it’s fabulous ocean views.
15. Or retire to this seriously stunning home in Dunsborough.
16. Enjoy a delectable degustation or a long lunch at the region’s founding biodynamic winery.
17. Eat fresh fish and chips on the grassy Augusta foreshore.
18. Test your spice threshold on the Occy’s chilli burger scale. Beware of the 10!
19. And wash it down with a cold one at any of these breweries.
20. Treat yourself to a glass of sparkling at a winery with the region’s only methode traditionelle bottling line.
21. And enjoy a drop or plate of Karridale’s finest at Glenarty Road.
22. While you’re down there, check out the rustic Karridale Tavern.
23. Then head to Hamelin Bay to get up close and personal with the giant stingrays along the shore, and check out the remnants of what was once a thriving timber trade.
24. Spend a night or two at this gorgeous two-storey house overlooking a working vineyard!
25. Journey 1.8km out to sea – on foot! – along the iconic Busselton Jetty, or head below it to get immersed in an amazing Underwater Observatory.
27. And go on a quad-bike eco-adventure!
28. Check out the Giant’s Garden, where each of the colossal wooden sculptures in the park are handcrafted by chainsaw.
29. Eat freshly shucked abalone, a regional delicacy to die for.
30. Get literally off the beaten track, and four-wheel-drive along the beach at Boranup or Kilcarnup.
31. Climb to the top of the Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse to see where the Indian and Southern oceans meet. Or check out the panoramic Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse on the other end of the coast. There’s a rumour it’s haunted!
35. Try some marron – a local delicacy similar to crayfish.
36. Absorb the magic of Gracetown and smell the fresh salty air from the balcony of this stunning seaside home.
38. For a different kind of spa treatment, pamper yourself at any of these retreats.
39. Go canoeing down the actual Margaret River with a local tour operator.
40. Find your own slice of paradise at this astonishing Eagle Bay home.
41. Then lose yourself in the Yallingup maze.
42. And let the kids free at any of these petting-friendly animal farms.
43. For the creatively spirited, create your own gin at the Margaret River Distilling Co. You’ll never see a G&T in the same light!
44. Ride a wave at one of the region’s many surf breaks, or learn how to.
45. Sample some of the region’s freshest produce at the Margaret River Farmers’ Market.
46. Grab a guilt free meal from Fair Harvest, where almost everything is grown on the premises.
47. Or gorge at the Margaret River Chocolate Company.
48. Then work it off with a mountain bike or cycling expedition along one of the region’s world class trails.
50. If nothing else, simply sit back and watch the waves roll in from this bucket list worthy Margaret River home.
This competition is now closed.