Prevelly and Gnarabup
Welcome to Prevelly and Gnarabup!
Located 10km west of the Margaret River township, Prevelly is situated at the mouth of the Margaret River and close to the beachside area of Gnarabup. Home of the Drug AwareMargaret River Pro surf competition (formerly The Masters), Prevelly is internationally recognised for its spectacular surfing conditions. Around the corner from the main surf break, Gnarabup beach provides perfect swimming conditions with white sandy beaches and clear blue waters. New developments in the area include beachside pathways, cafés and accommodation with sweeping ocean views, making Prevelly the ultimate getaway for beach lovers.
What to do
- Surf: surfing and stand up paddle boarding lessons or board hire are available from a number of local businesses.
- Paddle: do an organised tour up the Margaret River or hire your own canoes and kayaks.
- Eat: Prevelly and Gnarabup are home to some great cafés – lap up the views of the ocean over a coffee, freshly squeezed juice or a delicious gourmet meal.
- Fish: Gnarabup boat ramp is a popular launching spot for local fisherman and during summer a pontoon 40 metres off shore adds to the massive swimming appeal.
- Walk: take a lazy stroll on the sand or along a beachside path.
- Watching the local surfers charge big waves at Surfer’s Point.
- Taking the pooch to the doggy beach at Gnarabup.
- Packing a picnic of gourmet local goodies and admiring the sunset over the Indian Ocean.
Useful to know
- The sea breeze comes from the south west in the afternoons, so hit the beach early if you prefer calmer conditions.
- If you’re walking the Cape to Cape Track, check if you can cross at the rivermouth – it depends on the time of year and you may need to detour.
- Geoffrey Edwards named Prevelly after the Preveli monastery in Crete. He was an Australian soldier given shelter by the monks during World War II and the Greek Chapel on Mitchell Drive was built as a tribute to this.
How to get there
Prevelly is 10km west of the township of Margaret River. Head up the main street of Margaret River, then turn right at Wallcliffe Road at the top of town – this leads all the way out to Prevelly. To get to Gnarabup, keep following Wallcliffe Road around – it’s a couple of kilometres past Prevelly.