This website is maintained and administered by the Margaret River Busselton Tourism Association (MRBTA).
This Privacy Statement sets out the manner in which MRBTA will deal with information submitted to it through MRBTA’s digital assets (the digital assets) by members of the public, including this website, other MRBTA websites and MRBTA mobile applications.
MRBTA views the privacy of your personal information as an important issue and is committed to protecting your privacy when you access and interact with the digital assets.
MRBTA suggests that you return to the site on a regular basis and carefully read the information provided.
How MRBTA Collects Data and Personal Information
MRBTA collects personal information only by lawful and fair means, where it is reasonably necessary for or directly related to legitimate MRBTA functions. It is MRBTA’s usual practice to collect personal information directly from you when you deal with MRBTA by phone, letter, email, face-to-face or online, including when you:
- Make an enquiry with MRBTA either online or over the phone
- Subscribe to a newsletter through any of MRBTA’s websites
- Register an account on any of MRBTA’s websites
- Enter a promotion or competition through the digital assets
- Have business dealings with MRBTA (whether as a job applicant, as an employee of one of MRBTA’s external service providers, if you work for a government or media agency MRBTA deals with, in the context of a transaction, or if you volunteer personal information to MRBTA).
Where it is practicable, you may choose to remain anonymous or adopt a pseudonym when dealing with MRBTA.
What Data and Personal Information MRBTA Collects
When you visit the digital assets, data records of your visit is kept for statistical and research purposes, as well as to allow MRBTA to improve its websites, products and services.
Similar records may be kept when you use any of the interactive features found in the digital assets.
The information kept for these purposes is:
- Your server address
- Your top level domain name (e.g. .com, .gov, .au, .uk, etc.)
- The date and time you visited the digital asset
- The pages/screen/section/feature (or similar) of the digital asset you accessed, and the documents you downloaded
- The previous digital asset you visited
- The type of web browser and operating system you used
- The type of mobile device and operating system you used
- The number of times you visited
No attempt will be made by MRBTA to identify individual website users or their browsing activities except in the unlikely event of an investigation where a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect server logs.
In addition, some of the interactive features found on this website may require you to enter personal information, such as your name and address.
The types of personal information that MRBTA collects will depend on the nature of your dealings with its products and services and may include your name, contact details, photographic information, your views and opinions about MRBTA services, and travel information. In particular:
- If you are a member of the general public who registers to receive e-newsletters from MRBTA or registers to create an account on an MRBTA website to customise your web experience, your name, email address, and information about what type of holiday you are looking for will be collected. This is so MRBTA can provide you with material likely to be of interest to you. In the interest of data minimisation, MRBTA will not collect any data that is not required to fulfil the stated purpose of collection.
- If you deal with MRBTA in the course of business, including as a member of the MRBTA, MRBTA will generally collect only your business contact details (so MRBTA can communicate with you for normal business purposes).
- MRBTA also collects personal information about its employees (including job applicants) and contractors (personnel records).
- If you make a booking enquiry through an MRBTA website, MRBTA will collect your name and email address, as well as any other travel information volunteered, in order to fulfil your enquiry.
- If you make a complaint, MRBTA will generally collect your name, address or email address and details about the complaint.
MRBTA stores this information in encrypted form and disposes of it once the purpose for which it was collected has been achieved.
The length of time for which such information is stored may vary according to the purpose for which it has been collected.
How MRBTA Uses and Discloses Personal Information
MRBTA will only use and disclose personal information for the purpose for which it was collected, or otherwise in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles. For example, if you register on an MRBTA website to receive information about travelling to the Margaret River region, MRBTA will use your name and email address to send you this information. Other examples include use or disclosure for the purpose of:
- Providing you with the publications or services you have requested;
- Marketing communications;
- Complaint handling;
- Research and forecasting;
- Employment purposes; and,
- Performing specific statutory or administrative functions, for example responding to a request under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 or under the Privacy Act.
MRBTA will not use or disclose personal information for a purpose other than that for which it was collected unless:
- Your consent is obtained;
- MRBTA is required to, or authorised by an Australian law or a court or tribunal order; or,
- Otherwise in accordance with the Privacy Act.
If you decide to register as a user of the digital assets, such as becoming a Member of MRBTA, you will be asked to submit various items of personal, business and other information.
This information will be stored so that we may use it:
- for research purposes;
- to communicate with you about your membership benefits;
- with your consent, to contact you with information relevant to your membership through e-newsletters; or,
- otherwise to carry out legitimate business arising as a result of your membership of MRBTA.
The information you provide may be combined with information from other sources (for example, census bureau data), so that we can better achieve these purposes.
As a result, you may receive information about campaigns, promotions, your MRBTA membership, and matters of interest to you.
The information you provide will not be released to any third party without your consent (such consent may be given during the registration process, or at any time afterwards) unless MRBTA is compelled to do so by law.
If you give your consent, we may pass the information to our tourism partners who subscribe to our services for purposes of research and direct marketing.
Please note, however, that MRBTA disclaims all responsibility or liability (in negligence or howsoever) for the uses to which such information is put by our tourism partners.
If you withdraw your consent to the provision of the information you submit to our subscribing tourism partners, we will remove your name from our mailing list.
However, we will not be responsible for ensuring that our subscribing tourism partners remove your name from their mailing lists.
In this Privacy Statement, the terms “tourism partners” and “technology partners” include partners, associates and contractors of MRBTA.
Security of Personal Information
MRBTA takes security of personal information seriously. MRBTA strives to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of personal information submitted to and stored via the digital assets, and periodically updates its security measures in light of current technologies.
While MRBTA cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any personal information that is submitted or stored via our digital assets, we have in place a range of physical and electronic security measures to protect your personal information from unauthorised access, use, modification, disclosure or misuse including the implementation of firewalls.
MRBTA shall not be liable (in negligence or howsoever) for any third party or thing directly or indirectly breaching the security of, or without authorization accessing your personal information submitted or stored via our digital assets. You will be notified of any breaches that affect you without undue delay.
Most electronic records of personal information collected by MRBTA are stored in databases hosted on servers in Australia. Some records are stored in databases that are hosted on servers overseas. In each case, our IT systems are protected by best practice IT security measures.
If you don’t want your personal information to be transferred to servers outside of the country you live in, please don’t provide us with your personal information.
MRBTA’s personnel are bound by confidentiality obligations as a condition of their employment, and this extends to ensuring that personal information collected by MRBTA is kept confidential.
MRBTA digital assets may also be linked to digital assets operated by third parties. These links are meant for your convenience only. Links to third party digital assets do not constitute sponsorship, endorsement or approval of these digital assets. Visitors to those third party digital assets should refer to their separate privacy policies and practices.
Access and Correction
Any person or organisation, whether or not a registered user of the digital assets, who believes that we have gathered and stored personal information relating to them, whether through the digital assets or otherwise, may contact us and request to view that information.
They may also request the alteration of that information or its removal from our records.
Any such request or request for further details of our Privacy Statement should be directed to us via the Contact Us form. MRBTA may require you to provide additional personal information or verify your identity for the purposes of accessing, correcting and/or removing your information. MRBTA endeavours to respond to such requests within 30 days.
Cookies, Spotlight Technology and Pixels or Transparent GIF Files
MRBTA may record your visit with cookies and may log the following information for purely statistical purposes:
- your server address;
- your top-level domain name (e.g. .com, .gov, .uk, etc);
- the date and time of your visit to MRBTA’s website;
- the pages accessed and documents downloaded by you;
- the previous website(s) visited by you; and
- the type of browser used by you.
If you do not want information collected with cookies, there is a simple procedure in most browsers that allows you to deny or accept the cookie feature. You should note that cookies may be necessary to provide you with features and/or functions on this website and on other websites.
MRBTA’s websites also makes use of third party pixels – these are pixels sent by businesses that provide content, such as advertising, on websites that you visit – that is, businesses other than MRBTA. Third party pixels are used on MRBTA’s websites to enable remarketing and reporting for impression assisted visits, websites conversions, user demographics and user interests.
The third party pixels used on MRBTA’s websites include, but are not limited to, Google Analytics Advertising Features (via the use of Google advertising pixels), pixels from YouTube and the Facebook tracking / web pixel.
MRBTA also uses the following companies and technologies:
If you want to opt out of the operation of third party cookies – such as those associated with the Google Analytics Advertising Feature – you will need to refer to the privacy policies of the relevant third party website(s).
In relation to use of websites, MRBTA may establish relationships with business partners that allow visitors to MRBTA websites to link directly to websites operated by these partners. Some of these websites may be “co-branded” with MRBTA’s logo; however, these websites may not be operated or maintained by or on MRBTA’s behalf. These websites may collect personal information from you that may be shared with us. This Privacy Statement will apply to any personal information MRBTA obtains in this manner.
MRBTA may also share audience data with these third parties via, amongst others, Google Analytics, Facebook Ad Manager, data management platforms and pixels.
Generally MRBTA has taken steps, and will continue to take steps, to ensure that and/or encourage any domestic third parties it has dealings with to comply with the Privacy Act and the Australian Privacy Principles when collecting, holding or using personal information provided to them by MRBTA. However, it is not possible for MRBTA to compel them to do so.
MRBTA will not generally hold third party deterministic or “third party matched” data, such as social media account log-ins and gmail logins. This data will only be acquired within the advertising technologies that MRBTA utilises, and in accordance with the Australian advertising industry’s governance processes.
If you delete cookies from your computer’s web browser, you may remove preferences that have been stored by the above software.
The opt-out cookies set may also expire and may need to be refreshed by using the information set out on this page.
Internet Use Risks
MRBTA does not warrant that the functions contained in the digital assets will be uninterrupted or without error.
In addition, MRBTA shall not be liable (in negligence or howsoever) for the propagation of computer worms, viruses or other harmful components transmitted from the digital assets and other third-party sites.
Any information, advice or suggestions set out in this document are given or made on an “all due care taken, but no liability” basis. Accordingly, neither MRBTA nor any of its officers or employees shall be liable (in negligence or howsoever) for any information, advice or suggestions given or made, or not given or made, in this document. You need to take and consider your own advice, and make your own enquiries and consider the results of those enquiries, in that regard.
Managing your Account and Newsletter Subscription
If you wish to delete or make any changes to your margaretriver.com account, please contact us via email on [email protected].
If you wish to stop receiving e-newsletters from MRBTA, you may do so by clicking ‘Unsubscribe’ at the bottom of any email you have received from us.
For all other queries related to your newsletter subscription, please contact us via email on [email protected].
So that we have the correct information to adequately respond to your enquiry, please ensure your email includes your registered email address, first name and last name, and requested change. For example:
Email: [email protected]
First and last name: Jane Smith
Requested change: Please delete my margaretriver.com account.
We will endeavour to reply to your email request within 14 business days.