Bushfires can occur in Australia in the hotter months (from November – February). Stay up to date ahead of travel with these tips.
Information before you travel:
- Check the latest bushfire warnings and updates to any areas you plan to travel at the Department of Fire & Emergency Services (DFES) – the government department that is responsible for fire and emergency services in Western Australia – via dfes.wa.gov.au and www.emergency.wa.gov.au
- If you plan to travel or stay near bushland, please be aware of potential risks that may occur during the bushfire season. Refer to the Bushfire Travellers’ Checklist from the DFES.
- If travelling by road in Western Australia, please visit mainroads.wa.gov.au and click though to road closure information.
- For travel in the rest of Australia, please visit the Australian Government’s Bureau of Meteorology – provides overall weather updates for all parts of Australia, including the latest fire warnings bom.gov.au.
- You can also check up-to-date news through: Bushfire Information Hotline – call 1300 362 361