Sunday services are held regularly. Information regarding times and dates of services is on the noticeboard on the church porch and also advertised in the local newspapers. Visitors to the area are very welcome to our services
St Margaret’s is a beautiful small church of high heritage interest. The church was built by local craftsmen, Les and Arthur Mann in 1926. The original wooden construction is largely intact. It is also the only building of its type in Margaret River that has continued to be used for its original purpose since the consolidation of the town in the 1920s. The style of the building is classed as Inter War Gothic.
St Margaret’s church was built in Margaret River as the central Anglican church for the communities including the Group Settlements in the area. Anglican churches were built in nearby towns and centres such as Boyndlie Park (Metricup), Cowaramup and Witchcliffe in the following years.
The church was dedicated to St Margaret of Scotland by Bishop Wilson on 30th January 1927.
At the time of being built, the site for the church was the main town thoroughfare. The Revd E C Dawson was installed as the first rector of Margaret River on 29 April 1927.
The interior of St Margaret’s has wooden pews and features stained-glass decorative windows, a timber altar, baptismal font and St Margaret icon. St Margaret’s is one block from the main street of Margaret River. There is plenty of off-street parking.
Behind St Margaret’s is a character wooden building, the first version of which was the St Margaret’s Hall, built for the St Margaret Mission, formed by the Brotherhood of St Boniface. The Mission ministered to settlers in Margaret River, Karridale, Bo-Alia and out from Busselton until 1930. The history of the Anglican Diocese of Bunbury shows that the districts had rapidly expanded since the early 1920s. The Bush Brothers as they were widely known, stayed in this wooden building, with the front room being the chapel.
The Brothers tended to spiritual need and often gave manual help where needed. They were answerable to the Bishop of Bunbury, the Right Reverend Cecil Wilson. The Brothers also reported to The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts in London; the society that sent them out as missionaries to Western Australia. The Brotherhood disbanded in 1930.
After a visit in 1927, the Sisters of St Elizabeth of Hungary arrived in the Diocese of Bunbury in 1928 to take up residence. By April 1929, a convent house had been built in Margaret River; the work of the Sisters of St Elizabeth included leadership in the Mothers’ Union branch and a ‘Mailbag’ Sunday School for the numerous children scattered around the Group Settlements.
St Margaret Hall became the Rectory and is now the Parish Centre. This renovated building has a commercial kitchen, verandas, toilets, office and meeting rooms. As well as Parish uses for meetings and fellowship, it is available for hire by approved local community groups