Margaret River Pro
The Margaret River Pro is one of only two Australian events on the prestigious World Surf League (WSL) World Championship Tour (CT), with the world’s top professional surfers travel to Margaret River to compete.
The 2023 tour returns to Margaret River for 10 days from April 20th and once again the event will be positioned as the mid-season decider. This means you can expect to see the worlds best surfers put everything on the line to advance to second half of the world tour.
Spectators can watch all the action live and FREE at Surfers Point, with the bulk of the competition taking place on Main Break and The Box. The event hub has a festival vibe, with big screens showing replays, expert commentary, food trucks and merchandise stands. But best of all young hopefuls can get up close and personal with their surfing stars, who take their time after each heat to chat to groms who line the walkway to collect autographs and selfies.
- Is the event on?: The WSL decides when to run the event, based on the surf conditions. To check if the event is on, off or on hold go to Instagram @wsl. The event site is still accessible even when the event isn’t running
- Shuttle buses: Will run on the weekends and the ANZAC day public holiday – leaving from near the Margaret River Golf Club to Surfers Point. Buses will run from 8am to 4pm daily depending on how the competition is running. There is no time schedule for buses as they are on a rotation all day.
- Parking: Will be available at Riflebutts dog exercise area on surfing competition days. Parking will also be available at McLeods Paddock to catch the shuttle bus to Surfers Point. Surfers Point car park will not be accessible during the event, or for a week before or after.
- Bike racks: There will be extra racking for bikes and scooters on site, so consider leaving the car at home all together!
- Dogs: There will be NO DOGS allowed at the Event site.
- Rivermouth Access: Pedestrians will be able to access the Rivermouth at all times during the event. Vehicles can access the Rivermouth Beach carpark using Rivermouth Road on days the competition is not running.
- Acessibilitiy: There is a designated parking bay for ACROD permit holders at the event site.
- Merchandise: Available at the site or online
- For more info: Check out our tips for doing the Margaret River Pro, like a pro
MORE ABOUT THE TOUR
The World Surf League (WSL) World Championship Tour (CT) consists of 10 events in seven countries. The Margaret River Pro is positioned as the mid-season decider . That is, it’s the last stop on the first half of the tour. After the event the field of 36 men is cut to 24, while the women’s field drops from 18 to 12, based on their performances in the first five tour events.
Only these top-performing surfers, together with two men’s and two women’s wildcard competitors, will advance to compete for the coveted World Titles in the final five events. The surfers that make the mid-season cut will also automatically qualify for the start of the following year’s World Championship Tour.
The 2023 CT season will also be the top qualification route for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games