Lucy loves food – she beams as she talks about what constitutes an excellent camembert, and all the amazing food on offer at the Margaret River Farmers Market. Her ‘ultimate picnic esky’ reads like a who’s who of local artisan food producers.
- Soft cheese – Brie or Camembert from Margaret River Dairy Co
- Cheddar or a Farmhouse cheese – a semi-soft, flavoured cheese that melts beautifully
- Prosciutto, ham or salami from The Farm House Margaret River
- Fresh figs in summer
- Honeycomb to place atop the camembert
- Olives – we love Olio Bello’s olives and EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- Plain crackers – let the flavour of the cheese sing
- Freshly baked bread from Margaret River Woodfired Bread (it comes out of the oven at 3pm!)
- Grapes or raspberries – you’ll find locally grown at the Farmers Market in summer
- Onion Jam or Battlers Relish – available exclusively at Margaret River Dairy Co
- Sundried tomatoes
- Vegetable chips – especially sweet potato or parsnip
- Dark chocolate from Margaret River Chocolate Company (their truffles are heavenly)
For a one stop shop of all everything you need for a perfect picnic, Just In Time Gourmet Margaret River is the ultimate destination. Not sure what pair with a sharp cheddar, local chorizo, or a bottle of cab sauv? The foodie team will be more than happy to guide you through the perfect pairings, and provide tasters to make sure the suggestions suit your tastes.
Or in Cowaramup The Gourmet Food Merchant has a beautiful array of picnic fare and gifts. They can even prepare a picnic box or grazing board for you in advance, so all you need to do is head to your favourite spot and relax.
Conveniently next door to the Margaret River Chocolate Factory is Providore, who create tasty treats from their olive groves, organic vegetable gardens and stock gourmet foods from around the region. As a bonus they also do tastings, including their award-winning Coward & Black wines.
In Busselton the Orgins Market is a roving feast, packed full of local growers and producers that will elevate your picnic game.
Want to take your love of cheese to a new level (and impress your friends with your skills)? Book in for a cheese making workshop with Jardin Estate, where you will learn the art of making delicious cheese before enjoying a two course lunch.